Pages

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Camera Hunting ... Or Just Dreaming?

I've been thinking about getting a new camera.  To be precise - a new DSLR camera.

We've got three cameras in the house.  Manuel has a Panasonic point & shoot, and I have two Canon's - both point & shoot, but the larger is bordering on DSLR land in that it allows me to manually adjust aperture, time, ISO, white balance, etc.  Still, it only has one built in zoom lens - a 6.0 - 72.00 mm 2.7-3.5 USM Canon zoom lens.  This camera (PowerShot S3 IS) has served me reasonably well.  Before it I had a true 35mm camera that I almost exclusively used in manual mode.  Since moving to the digital world of photography I've been making do with less.  The trade-off has been the instant access to photographs, not having to wait for processing, being able to delete bad photos, and keeping and sharing the good ones.

Where I find it most challenging is taking interior shots.  I know that it's not the camera that makes the photographer better, but the technics that the photographer hones over time.  I get that.  And that's probably what's been making me hesitate about this yearning for a new camera.  It's a lot of money.  No matter how I slice it, I can easily spend $500 or more on a new system.

I'm wondering if I should just get a new tripod and work with that for a bit (the old one got toddler-handled some time ago and important pieces are missing).  I've also been looking at refurbished cameras - of course, when I do this I push the limits and look at bigger and better systems since I'm "saving" all that money.

What would you do?  Work with what you have or go wild and splurge on a new camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment